Updated: Oct 11
"The risk of love is loss, and the price of loss is grief - But the pain of grief is only a shadow when compared with the pain of never risking love." Hillary Stanton Zunin
Sometimes the wisdom of others can help us on our own life journeys. This is especially true when dealing with something as difficult as the loss of a loved one.
These quotes about grief and loss are a reminder that someone else has experienced the heaviness that comes with losing a loved one. Someone else survived the pain and you can too.
These quotes can uplift and comfort, if only for a moment.
QUOTES ABOUT GRIEF AND LOSS
1. "If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to Heaven and bring you home again." Author unknown
2. "Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim." Vicki Harrison
3. "Grief is not a disorder, a disease or a sign of weakness. It is an emotional, physical and spiritual necessity, the price you pay for love. The only cure for grief is to grieve." Earl Grollman
4. “Sorrow is so easy to express and yet so hard to tell.” Joni Mitchell
5. "Grief is a wave that comes and goes in the most unexpected ways." - Unknown
6. “Grief is not a disorder, a disease, or a sign of weakness. It is an emotional, physical and spiritual necessity; the price you pay for love. The only cure for grief is to grieve.” – Dr. Earl A. Grollman
7. “A wounded heart will heal in time, and when it does, the memory and love of our loved ones are sealed inside to comfort us.” Unknown
8. “Your memory feels like home to me. So whenever my mind wanders, it always finds its way back to you.” Ranata Suzuki
9. "There is no pain so great as the memory of joy in present grief.” Aeschylus
10. You cannot prevent the birds of sorrow from flying over your head, but you can prevent them from building nests in your hair. – Chinese Proverb
11. "Grief I've learned is just love. It's all the love you want to give but cannot. All of that unspent love gathers up in the corners of your eyes, the lump in your throat, and in that hollow part of your chest. Grief is just love with no place to go." Anonymous
12. “The pain passes, but the beauty remains.” – Pierre Auguste Renoir
13. “Without you in my arms, I feel an emptiness in my soul. I find myself searching the crowds for your face—I know it’s an impossibility, but I cannot help myself.” Nicholas Sparks
14. "Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted." Matthew 5:4
15. "Grief is like the ocean; it comes on waves ebbing and flowing. Sometimes the water is calm, and sometimes it is overwhelming. All we can do is learn to swim." Vicki Harrison
NAVIGATING GRIEF: Children's Books about Grief and Loss
Grief and loss are a part of life but discussing them and helping children cope can be a heavy task. There are many ways to start these conversations and one powerful way is with children's books. We’ve rounded up a collection of diverse children’s books that can help kids understand and cope with the grief that comes with loss. READ MORE HERE
The stories children read matter. Reading diverse stories opens a child's mind to different people, places, and cultures. It can help build empathy and understanding. We're on a mission to highlight and amplify diverse books. You can find ideas for your next trip to your local library in the Collection of Diverse Books in our Bookshop. Check out our Bookish Blog for ideas too!
Looking for great read aloud ideas? Visit these fabulous book lists:
Join our community of BOOK LOVERS to get book news delivered to your inbox.