10 Ways Children Can Honor Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. dreamed of a world free of hate, prejudice, and violence. Dr. King spent most of his life in service to people.
One of the best ways to honor Dr. King is to give back to the community. There are many ways children can give back to their communities. Here are just a few ideas to get you started.
1. Host a Canned Food Drive
2. Create Personal Hygiene Bags for the Homeless
3. Collect Books For Children
4. Sing for Nursing Home Residents
5. Invite a Lonely Student to Eat Lunch With You
6. Learn About People Different From You
7. Collect Blankets for Shelter Pets
8. Volunteer at a Food Shelter
9. Draw Pictures to Give to Nursing Home Patients
10. Collect Toys for The Children's Hospital
ABOUT THE BOOK PICTURED ABOVE:
I Have a Dream by Kadir Nelson
Taking excerpts of the text of Dr. King’s address verbatim, Nelson pairs them with his own extraordinary illustrations. The result is a powerful book that demonstrates the impact of what Dr. King and others were fighting to achieve: a world in which all could be equal and all could be free. Share this with children who know a bit about Dr. King’s work, for the maximum impact. And be ready to be moved yourself – it’s nearly impossible not to be, with this inspiring work.
(More MLK Books and Reviews can be found at Multicultural Kid Blogs)